A hearing consultation is the first step towards achieving better hearing. The next step is usually a hearing aid fitting. But how does a hearing consultation work? We’ll answer that question in this edition of the blog. What should you expect?
Now Hear This on Hearing Consultation
Even if you are not experiencing hearing loss, getting it checked it still a good idea. This is certainly most important for adults over the age of 50. At this age, a baseline can be determined for comparative use in future tests. The baseline determines what your level of hearing is when you first come in. Besides a visual inspection using a tool known as an otoscope, the tests include the following:
- Pure tone test
- Bone conduction test
- Middle ear tests
- Speech audiometry
- Otometric measurements
Your medical history will also be considered. Hearing and hearing loss can be affected by a multitude of other health factors. Some potential basic reasons for hearing troubles can be attributed to:
- Too much earwax: Earwax can build up quickly, and without cleaning it can become impacted.
- Presbycusis: Age-related hearing loss.
- Noise induced hearing loss
- Heredity: Hearing loss runs in the family.
- Obstructions caused by foreign objects or materials: Your ears could be plugged up by something.
- A perforated or ruptured eardrum or buildup of fluid in the middle ear: These conditions will require a referral for medical care and assistance. Additional medical attention is needed because these conditions are far more serious than your average ear problems.
The audiogram represents what your hearing troubles are in an easier to understand format. These tests enable us to identify how much support you need as well as the possible causes of your hearing loss. With the results in hand, we can then proceed to suggesting what hearing aid technology is right for you. What can you possibly expect from a new hearing aid?
Better Hearing Starts with Canary Hearing
Are you experiencing hearing loss? Canary Hearing can help. We are a family owned and operated hearing aid dispensing practice with over 40 years of professional hearing correction experience. Our full time hearing care professionals can assist you in selecting and fitting the right hearing aids to help you start living life to the fullest. Get in touch with Canary Hearing today or connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.